Failing My Goodreads Challenge

Caroline McWilliams
Friday 20 January 2023

By Syl Reads (written 31st December 2019)

Every year, like many avid readers and book bloggers, I participate in the Goodreads Challenge. I set a number of books that I want to read within the year (usually 100), then I read, read, and read some more!

I’ve always hit my goal or at least come within 5 books of it. A couple of times, I’ve even surpassed it.

But not this year. I planned to read 100 books in 2019, but 2019 had other plans for me.

Earlier in the fall, I realized there was no way I was going to make my annual goal. It was disheartening, but I decided to drop my goal to 65, which seemed much more doable at the time.

Here we are… 31 December 2019 and I have read….

56 Books

mmal

It was one thing to fail my first goal, but to then drop the ball on my second?

I’ve spent a good part of this week feeling like a failure. I set a goal for myself and I didn’t reach it. 

I like setting goals. I’m a determined person, and I like setting goals for myself. I know how to fail, but I’m not good at keeping the label of “failure” off my forehead.

A reading goal seems silly in the grand scheme of things, but I look forward to my book challenge every year. 

Initially, I criticized myself, thinking I was being lazy. But maybe 2019 was just a different sort of busy year… for better and worse.

Traveling, friends, love, family….etc. Occupied more of my time than my books. It was great, sad, challenging, exciting…. all the complicated feelings.

Of course I wish I had read more. I have a massive stack of books I meant to finish by the end of 2019, but you know what? They’ll still be there tomorrow….1 January 2020. I’ll still challenge myself to read 100 books in 2020, but I’m not going to let a silly challenge consume me and add to my anxiety. I’m going to read what I feel like, because I feel like it.

I’m so happy for everyone that reached their reading goals this year! Congrats!

I wish I had made my goals, but I’m not gonna make myself feel bad about this any longer. 

giphy-28

Here’s 2020. May yours be full of health, joy, and lots of good books!

Failing My Goodreads Challenge